Fraud, Waste & Abuse
Reviews relevant federal and state laws pertaining to fraud, waste and abuse plus tips for improving agency compliance programs.
- TAHC&H Virtual Event | Administrator Program | Recorded for On-Demand Access
- Presentation Date | November 17, 2020
- TX HCSSA Administrator/Alternate Continuing Education
- Continuing Education for Nurses
- 1.5 Contact Hr(s)
- This program awards CNE until 11.17.2022
- Social Work Continuing Education
CE Approval Statements:
· This program meets continuing education requirements
for Administrators and Alternates under Texas HCSSA licensing regulations.
· Texas Association for Home Care & Hospice is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by Louisiana State Nurses
Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. LSNA Provider No. 4002151
· Texas Association for Home Care & Hospice is an approved provider of social work education by the Texas State Board of Social Work Examiners, approved provider #1230.
HCSSA Topic(s) Addressed:
- §558.259[d]information regarding fraud and abuse detection and prevention
- §558.259[d]agency responsibilities
- §558.260[a]basic principles of management in a licensed health-related setting
- §558.260[a]financial management
Program Description: Home care and hospice providers face a daunting array of complex laws and regulations, with non-compliance potentially
resulting in a host of criminal charges, civil sanctions and administrative enforcement actions. This program reviews relevant federal and state laws pertaining to fraud, waste and abuse,
recent enforcement activity, and focus on tips for improving agency compliance programs.
Program Learning Objective(s): Participants will actively engage in the activity and indicate an intent to change or enhance their
practice by ensuring application of fraud and abuse surveillance within their agency to promote ethical standards of practice.
TAHC&H Faculty/Presenter(s): Jennifer Papapanagiotou, Partner, LilesParker & Heidi Kocher, J.D., M.B.A., C.H.C., Liles Parker
About the Presenter(s):
Jennifer Papapanagiotou Ms. Papapanagiotou’s practice focuses on compliance, regulatory and transactional matters
for a wide array of health care providers, including home health and hospice agencies. She has extensive experience in analyzing proposed and existing business arrangements for compliance
with federal and state fraud and abuse laws, and drafting a wide variety of legal agreements. Ms. Papapanagiotou is knowledgeable in all aspects of state licensing for home health and
hospice providers, and in Medicare and Medicaid enrollment, including initial enrollment, changes of ownership and appeals of revocation actions. Finally, she assists clients with
compliance plans, forming new businesses, and addressing Medicare and Medicaid program coverage and reimbursement issues
Heidi Kocher is a partner with the law firm of Liles Parker. She has over 20 years of experience advising and defending health care clients
on legal and regulatory matters affecting providers of all sizes. She is an expert in all aspects of compliance and privacy programs, including developing and deploying policies,
procedures and training. Her experience includes serving as a Chief Compliance Officer and a Chief Privacy Officer, implementing the various requirements and aspects of Corporate
Integrity Agreements, and responding to and defending audits from Medicare, Medicaid and private insurers up through the ALJ level. She received her J.D. from Georgetown
University Law Center. She is licensed in Texas and Maryland, and admitted to the U.S. Court of Federal Claims. She is also Certified in Health Care Compliance.
 Fraud, Waste & Abuse